CASE SUMMARY: Full Mouth Reconstruction
Patient “Paul” was referred to me due to his complex dental needs. I met with him at an initial consultation, then had a follow-up visit to review initial treatment recommendations.
Paul had a history of trauma and had a heavy smoking habit that he was not willing to give up. He also had high demands esthetically and functionally. He was looking for a fixed, natural-looking solution that would allow him to “whistle,” speak, and smile normally.
As a Prosthodontist, I have experience planning multi-stage treatment and can coordinate with a patient’s general dentist and other dental specialists.
For each complex case, I go through the following steps:
• A complete diagnosis routine with CBCT and Intraoral scans to determine which course of action is appropriate and best long-term for the patient.
• Presentation of treatment options and discuss with each patient to explain the pros and cons of each treatment course.
• Then performing the treatment with a temporary and final prosthesis. After discussing full mouth reconstruction options with keeping or not-keeping
teeth, Paul chose to do implant-supported prostheses.
Paul treatment sequence included the following stages:
1. Provisional immediate loading removable denture in the maxillary, and immediately loaded fixed denture in the mandibular (on 8 implants).
2. Bilateral sinus lift.
3. Then, provisional immediate loading fixed denture in the maxillary (also on 8 implants).
4. Definitive maxillary and mandibular fixed (yet detachable) complete dentures, with each prosthesis fabricated from layered Zirconia.
What made this case challenging was complying constantly with the high demands of the patient during all stages of full mouth reconstruction treatment while providing an outstanding outcome that was both pleasing esthetically and functional.
I usually refer patients back to their general dentist for routine care, unless advised otherwise by the referring office, depending on the patient and treatment.
Online Referral Form
We appreciate your confidence in us. To refer one of your patients to a Prosthodontist you can either download our referral form or fill it out online and send it directly to us.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Reconstructive Dentistry Team
Georgia Prosthodontics is a specialty practice focused on Implant, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Dentistry. Drs. Castro & Delgado have the training and private practice experience that makes treatments of complex cases more successful, including the following examples:
• Patients with severely worn/damaged teeth, missing all teeth, or with ill-fitting dentures can receive a full arch of natural-looking teeth to restore function & esthetics.
• Patients with congenital defects, a chronic condition, or traumatic injury can receive oral prostheses, which may be a combination of dental implants, crowns, bridges, or veneers.
• Patients with difficult anterior cases in the esthetic zone can receive single or multiple dental implants to replace missing teeth, or veneers or crowns to improve the appearance of their smile.